Thursday, February 17, 2011

Fresh Air Fund-Racers Team

Occasionally I write about something other than my mythical boyfriend, dating mishaps, or my general clumsiness or chronic crankiness. Occasionally I even write about running --the only pastime in my life that actually keeps me sane and out of the loony bin. If you haven't read it, I wrote an old post on Romance AND Running. Check it! You might just like it.

Anywho- As it so happens, I am currently in half-marathon training again and in the cold weather it's kind of torture. Every morning I literally whimper out loud in my bed when the alarm goes off. Sometimes I hit the snooze, sometimes I begrudgingly get up. Yesterday, I got up. I felt creaky and stiff and whiny. But I got up. I got dressed. I got out the door. I felt kind of bad beforehand. And I felt kind of awful during and after. Why did I do it? You do the bad runs for the good runs. The good runs for the great runs. And all the runs for yourself. And hey, sometimes, you even run for the children. Almost as motivating as losing your margarita or beer gut right? I recently received an email in regards to a running event and involved children's charity team and organization. I was asked (no strings attached of course, just out of the goodness of my heart) hoping that I might be able to post something about it on Marathon's Mistress to share with my readers. If running and children and charity sounds like you...read on!


The Fresh Air Fund still has some spots available for runners on their Fresh Air Fund-Racers team for the NYC Half-Marathon this coming March 20th About the Fresh Air Fund: an independent, not-for-profit agency, has provided free summer vacations to more than 1.7 million New York City children from low-income communities since 1877. Nearly 10,000 New York City children enjoy free Fresh Air Fund programs annually. In 2010, close to 5,000 children visited volunteer host families in suburbs and small town communities across 13 states from Virginia to Maine and Canada. 3,000 children also attended five Fresh Air camps on a 2,300-acre site in Fishkill, New York. The Fund’s year-round camping program serves an additional 2,000 young people each year. http://freshairmarathon.com/

They are also in need of host families for this Summer. Host families are volunteers who open their hearts and homes to a child from the city to give them a fresh air experience they never forget.

For more information you can contact:
Sara Wilson of The Fresh Air Fund
sara@freshair.orghttp://www.freshair.org/


HAPPY TRAILS AND AS ALWAYS, CHEERS, T.

No comments: