Saturday, July 24, 2010

Day 23: Redemption

“I am not judged by the number of times I fail, but by the number of times I succeed: and the number of times I succeed is in direct proportion to the number of times I fail and keep trying.”



Okay, even I'm not sure exactly what the quote above is supposed to mean. Especially since I killed all my brain cells on my Lake Ontario vacation this past week. But I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the fact that I was completely lame and lazy and missed a whole chunk of my Marathon training, but I'm going to get my $hit together and get back to it and keep following the training plan. Alright.


And surprisingly enough, perseverance and "re"-attempts, and getting yourself back on track ACTUALLY WORKS. Who knew?


I was extremely concerned when I headed out today, Wednesday, July 21st, after a week of drinking and debauchery, that I would be able to coordinate any movement at all, let alone 4 miles of running. I was soooooooooo hungover from my trip, even though, at this point, I hadn't had a drink in 36 hours that I felt too sick to do anything. Inevitably, the dehydration that certainly had to arrive from a week of drinking beer and little water, had to attack my limbs at some point right? It felt like I had been hit by a truck all over my body. Everything hurt. But after a week of slacking off and missing 3 of 4 runs while I was away, and having missed the required run from the day before, and having not been on a run in 4 days, enough was enough. I had to get out there.


Today's required run was 4 miles. And shock of all shocks -- it was my best run to date. Don't ask me how and don't ask me why. Because I have no idea. I should've been hurting. I should've been puking. But instead, I ran more of my runs (than walking) than I usually do and I the times when I was running, I ran way faster than I normally do. 4:01 miles in 51:18 which is 12:18mins per mile.


No comments: