Thursday, July 1, 2010

Day 4: The Cheese and Mustard

“Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting
before you get tired.”

~Jules Renard~


Oh holy sweetness, a requisite day of rest.

In Marathon, HH describes: "Rest" as "the single most important word" in his whole book (33). I don't even care if that is true I just absolutely love that I have absolutely nothing to do in terms of exercise today. I mean, you know me, if I could, I would run, sculpt, yoga, pilate or otherwise but I am encouraged, nay required, to sit on my ass as part of a proactive measure to progress in my training. Maybe I'll use what otherwise would be my allotted running time and go see the new Twilight movie in a dark, air conditioned theatre instead. Then I'm going to a bunch of happy hours and a stand-up comedy show for my friend's bday celebrations later this evening. Utter joy is me!

Seriously though, there is scientific reasoning for getting one's running rest freak on: to avoid (1)injury (2) fatigue (3) repeated colds and (4) lack of improvement. HH explains: "Mileage buildups of the magnitude required to finish a marathon create stress. A certain amount of stress is acceptable and good since stress creates strength. Too much stress, however, is bad...The whole purpose of training is to break the body down so it will rebuild itself stronger than before. It's when you fail to allow time for the rebuilding phase that problems occur. Overtraining can result in muscle injuries and stress fractures that halt training or in upper-respiratory illnesses and frequent bouts of fatigue that limit performance" (86-87). Ouch!

So get your lazy laze on today and do something completely idle and worthless. To do my part, I'm going to stop working on this blog, because I'm supposed to be resting right? And to conclude I've decided to give you some of the lyrics to my favorite running song of the moment: "Heart of a Champion" by Nelly, featuring the Lincoln University Ensemble. I'd give you all the lyrics, but frankly it would be all together too taxing on my ten, over-worked fingers and today is a day of rest, is it not? Go download this song immediately for some inspiration on your next workout (not today of course). You won't be sorry.


I hot dog cause I can, I got the cheese and mustard
I got that cain't stop, won't stop, in my veins

I'ma keep the same grin whether I, lose or win
Up, or down ten, I'ma fight to the end
Let's go

I think it hard to go and change your route

Cause you don't know if I'm blitzin or if I'm sittin and readin


It's like a game time decision made on how I can twurk it
If hard work pays off then easy work is worthless
My work habit ain't no habit man, I do it on purpose
I push myself to the limit so my talent'll surface

Ain't no way they can stop me now Nelly
Cause I'm on my way, I can feel my reign comin
It's the blood of a champion, pumpin
Deep inside my veins, too much pride to be runnin
I'ma give what I can and more, even if
My blood, my sweat, and my tears don't mean nothin
It's the heart of a champion (it's the heart of me)
(It's the heart of a...) in me



Come (not) Run with Me.











No comments: